Friday, April 28, 2006

Ode to Randomness

I have wanted to post something for the last few weeks. There are so many things on my mind. Unfortunately none of them took hold strongly enough for me to come up with a good post.

So...I'll just share my snippets of random thoughts.

My life as an actor has been in full swing lately. In June I'll be performing a one-woman show about the life of Lena Baker. I've also been asked to perform at the NYC installation of the Hip Hop Theater Festival, also in June. Perhaps the thought of trying to learn all these lines has something to do with why I haven't been able to formulate a complete blog post idea. My brain can only handle so much stuff.

The year of the reunion continues, much to my chagrin. I'm certain that High School Boy wants to be my boyfriend. In my effort to be more open I went on a date with him. This time, there was no need for a post-date scorecard. A good time was had by all & if I never see or talk to him again, it'll be fine with me. He's a decent person, but the thought of him touching me skeeves me out bigtime. Hopefully I won't have to have the "there's no chemistry here" conversation with him.

I am officially obsessed with the unfortunate events going on in Durham, NC. Thanks to song4assata for keeping me in the know. Still keeping homegirl in my prayers. The media/legal system is a bitch!

I've done quite a bit of reading during the last few months. Michael Eric Dyson's "Is Bill Cosby Right? Or Has The Black Middle Class Lost It's Mind" was interesting. I wasn't buying his argument, but it was an insightful read all the same. Suzan-Lori Parks' first novel "Getting Mother's Body" was enjoyable. May is my month to host the monthly book club meeting & I've chosen that book. I'm certain that the group won't like it. Particularly since the last 2 books have been the typical no-plot-or-character-development-required, "sistah girl" nonsense - and they seemed to enjoy that crap. Well, they won't be reading any ridiculous soap opera dramas this month, no siree. This month we will explore the human condition and emotional growth. They may kick me out of the group.

I constantly find myself angry at some corporation for their business decisions or bad customer service or some other such rant. This week, I'm super pissed at XM Satellite Radio. With no warning, they discontinued the Neo Soul station that I had been listening to 75% of the time. For a few days, I thought maybe they had decided to widen the scope of programming, because whenever I would turn on the radio I heard some rap song. As upsetting as this was, I wasn't quite at "You people are gonna hear from me in a strongly worded letter! Oh, yessir, heads are gonna roll!". No, I was willing to ride it out, positive that I would not be the only outraged listener. But one day last weekend I had to be in the car for longer than usual & I tuned into the station - number 1 on my presets - and they were playing some song by T.I. Still, I managed to keep my hysteria at bay, for a while anyway. I got to one of those ridiculously long stoplights and decided to investigate this matter. I'm still thinking that there might have been a user error. And at first that seemed to be the answer, because upon closer examination, I realized that preset number 1 was no longer XM61 - The Flow, it was XM68 - The Heat. Well, it's entirely possible that I pushed a few wrong buttons and screwed that up - no problem. Still stuck at this red light, I go through the stations to find good ole XM61 so it can reclaim it's rightful place on my in dash listening device. Still stuck at the red light, still scrolling.

68 - The Heat (no thank you)
67 - The City (why would anyone pay $13/month to hear "Urban Top 40"??)
66 - Raw XL (uh...NO)
65 - The Rhyme (old school hip hop - already preset on station 5)
64 - The Groove (old school R&B - already preset on station 3)
63 - doesn't exist (these mf's can't count???)
62 - Suite 62 (urban adult - I'm not even sure what that means.)
60 - Soul Street (at this point I don't care...where is 61???)

You can imagine that there was much more scrolling (this is a really long light) and the intensity was ramping with each push of the scroll button. Well, needless to say, XM Radio decided to eliminate channel 61, for reasons unknown. As upsetting as this is, if they told me that not enough folks were listening to it, I would eventually get over it. But what jackass decided that since I couldn't hear Jill Scott, Amel Larrieux and Kindred, that choice B was sure to be The Ying Yang Twins, Young Jeezy and Lil Wayne??? Help me understand the logic here!

I have already penned part 1 of the "strongly worded letter" and I'm not happy with the response. Heads are gonna roll.

So, anyhoo...as you can see, I have been terribly random lately. Any day now I'm sure that I will find some focus.

I guess.

5 Comments:

Blogger changeseeker said...

Wow. How satisfying is this? I come in from teaching late, knowing I gotta be back in front of the classroom first thing in the morning (paying the rent can be such a chore!) and luck onto a brand spanking fresh, juicy, rambley post to read that exposes me to somebody interesting I never heard of before and reminds me of how good Getting Mother's Body was and makes me laugh and even routes me to yet another post that I read in its entirety before deciding that I might as well just go ahead and subscribe to this madness. :-D

Shoot! I don't even care anymore that I finished my just-before-bed book last night and haven't picked up another one yet. I'm so happy, I can just lay right down and float off to sleepy land. Thanks, P.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful! Please keep me updated on your show!

Oh and about XM? I agree. Sometimes I think they really don't know what to do with "the folks" (lol).

Congratultions and hugs to you!

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i loved your randomness...as that is how i seem to live my life...randomly. if randomness is all we'll get from you for a while...we'll take it...just keep posting :)

1:14 PM  
Blogger Piscean Princess said...

changeseeker - I'm glad I could be there for you when you ended your day. You had quite a day with the whole silence thing, so I can imagine that my random-ness was right on time!

ra - Hey girl! I still have not heard from XM after my second letter. I'm thinking about calling them. They need to give me some answers. The play is coming along. It's terrifying work, but I love it.

girlnextdoor - You know random is not really my thing, but I've embraced it. For now.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh please make sure you let me know if you're in the ny hip hop festival cuz i'd love to come see you!!!

Congratulations!

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home