Monday, May 01, 2006

slightly less random

Ok, so it's Monday and I have a bit more focus than I did Friday. Not a lot, but it's enough of an improvement to rejoice about.

I had my first rehearsal yesterday for "Who Will Sing For Lena" & I managed to get through it without an emotional breakdown. Now I just have to memorize a 45 - 50 minute monologue in the next few weeks. Hopefully I will do an acceptable job telling her story. I'll keep you posted.



This weekend, instead of having an Oprah-thon, cleaning my house or sleeping for 3 days straight, I read 2 books. (I Wish I Had A Red Dress & Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do) Reading Pearl Cleage is like talking to a good friend. Her writing style is familiar and conversational. The romances are honest and mature. The drama is realistic. The happy ending is never syrupy. What a refreshing change of pace!

Silly me, I thought I'd break up my P. Cleage-a-thon by reading a popular academic . Not a good idea. This dude (I won't mention any names) was so far off base with his theories, I got about half way through the first chapter and put that mess in the "return to the library" pile. So much for trying to educate myself on another person's viewpoint. Tonight I'll be returning to the safe haven of Ms. C and her latest novel, Babylon Sisters.



In other news, the March issue of O Magazine taught me a new way to do something I've been doing forever. At first glance, "The Empathy Workout" seemed to be another attempt to get people to identify with others as humans before judging or labeling. And the bulk of the article does just that. There are exercises to help the process and everything. But the real bonus for me was the metta-tation.

I grew up practicing metaphysics, so the idea of meditating is one that I'm quite familiar with. I don't make time for it like I should but I am always happy to send out positive energy to anyone who needs it. However, I had never really made a formal ritual of sending the +E. It's always been pretty random. Effective, but random. The article provided a guide for this type of meditation, called metta-tation because metta means lovingkindness among other things. So that means that now, when I tell y'all that I'm going to send out some +E, there will be some structure to the process.



And in a final attempt to be slightly less random and overindulgent, I am going to attempt to give up pork for 2 weeks. It's going to be tough, 'cause I don't think I've ever said no to bacon, I've found a place that serves some pretty tasty pulled pork and I haven't gone two weeks without a carnitas fajita from Chipotle in a very long time. But I know that I have been way overdoing it lately, so I'm going to give it a shot. Who knows, if this works, I may try giving up some other nasty habits. (No need to follow up on that - I'll let you know when that happens.)

Happy Monday!

, , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave up pork for a couple weeks once. I was friends with these Muslim guys, and they bet that I couldn't give up pork. In return they were supposed to not swear for a week. They lost the bet within a couple days, but I decided to follow through.

They also told me I couldn't eat any products with Lecitin (I can't spell it.) because lecitin is often made with pork. The exceptions are if it says Kosher or if it explicitly says soy lecitin.

The best meat to give up for health reason is beef. It has by far the most cholesterol.

9:02 PM  
Blogger changeseeker said...

I fell in love with Pearl Cleage's work when I read "What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day" years ago. And the best thing to break up a Pearl Cleage run, of course, is more Pearl Cleage: "Deals with the Devil and Other Reasons to Riot" (not a novel). It's kick-ass.

9:58 AM  
Blogger The Sarccastik Variable Why said...

i'm thinking about giving up pork...it's hard though...lawd jeezus it's hard...good luck

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home