Thursday, May 04, 2006

Who Knew?


I'll admit it - I'm one of those people who reads the daily horoscopes. Yes, I'm always interested in the advice, not to mention the added bonus of celebrity birthdays. It's supposed to be for entertainment only and I get my fair share of entertainment every day, between the Page-A-Day desk calendar, the newspaper version and the ones I have on My Yahoo page. So I start each day by reading not one, not two, but eight different horoscopes, ranging from a generic two-liner to the ultra specific Daily Work, Daily Singles, Daily Flirt and Daily Extended, and sometimes including a Weekly and Monthly just for good measure.

I'm sure this seems obsessive to you (actually, now that I've typed it out, it seems a bit extreme to me too), but let me qualify all of this astrological nonsense. I realize that none of these readings are even remotely indicative of what kind of day (or week or month) I'm going to have. Like today, my Page-A-Day says "...it's your life, not theirs, and in the end you have to uphold your principles and beliefs." Good advice, yes. Only applicable on Thursday May 4 to anyone born between Feb. 19 and Mar. 20, no. (It is nice to know that today is Audrey Hepburn's birthday, though. Everyone loves useless information.)

Even if I was fooled by that generic pile of lovingkindness, the "Love & Relationships" forecasts would put an end to the illusion. I have been single since February of 2005 and I've been on approximately 4 fruitless dates. But every day (and week and month) Astrology.com insists that the man of my dreams is going to appear that very day, completely prepared to sweep me right up off of my feet and usher me into the world of happily-ever-after, except for a minor bump in the road late in the week, which can only be resolved by quiet, alone time on the 23rd.

Yeah, not so much.

But still, I read them every day.....for entertainment purposes only.

And every now and then I run across some astrological tool or some other such personality thing-a-ma-jig that actually seems accurate. My most recent find, the Jung-Myers-Briggs Human Metrics typology test, was one of those.

After answering a short series of multiple choice questions (somewhere between the quizzes you find in Cosmo and the questionnaire you fill out when you go to a new therapist) the thing tells me that I am an INFJ, also known as a "Counselor Idealist". Sound sketchy so far?? Keep reading...


Counselors tend to be private, sensitive people. They are complicated and can understand and deal with complex issues and people.

Okay, private - check, sensitive - check, complicated - check. I'm intrigued. What else ya got?

Counselors can be hard to get to know. They have an unusually rich inner life, but they are reserved and tend not to share their reactions except with those they trust.

Well I think imaginary boyfriends and frequent out loud dialogue with myself qualifies as having "an unusually rich inner life", don't you? But what do those letters mean?

Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging (Introverted Intuition with Extraverted Feeling)

WTF?

As an INFJ, your primary mode of living is focused internally, where you take things in primarily via intuition. Your secondary mode is external, where you deal with things according to how you feel about them.

Yeah, I had an ex-boyfriend who had a big problem with the whole "how your actions make me feel" thing. He was dumb.

INFJs place great importance on having things orderly and systematic.

Mmm-hmm..to the point of being compulsive about it, it's true.

INFJ is a perfectionist who doubts that they are living up to their full potential - there's always something else they should be doing to improve themselves and the world around them. They believe in constant growth.

Well I think we can all agree that I'm all about the self analysis, introspection and personal growth.

As you can clearly see, I think this is pretty cool stuff. Many thanks to my good buddy Osmosis Jones in San Diego for sending it. I bet she didn't think I would spend 2 days obsessing about it! Boy was she wrong.

Oh, and as an added bonus, I got a listing of famous folks who have personalities like mine. Yep, turns out me, Sidney Poitier (who I share a birthday with) and Ghandi are 3 peas in a pod.

Who knew?

5 Comments:

Blogger changeseeker said...

I did this thing once and came out "Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging." And it was dead on the money, I mean, dead on the money.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious post!!! I laughed out loud the whole time I read it. I too am intrigued with the Myers-Briggs testing, however, when I've taken it in different roles, I've had completely different outcomes. When taken with work on the brain I am much more of an ENFJ, however, when taken in college before I ever hit the work force I was a ENTJ (apparently tried to think through things more than basing decisions on values and what is important to me). When I took this a few years ago as part of pre-marriage sessions at my Lutheran church, I was an ISFJ...who knows. My husband is an E and I am an E so when I took this test (pre-marriage), he was the stronger E. Now that we've been married a few years, I have a feeling that I am back to being the "E" in our relationship. Anyone who knows me knows that I am definitely not an "I" (Introvert) most of the time.

I really did enjoy your post and would be interested to see if you took the lengthy all out way long version of the Myers-Briggs...how you'd score differently with work vs. personal life. Knowing you - it wouldn't change as you are extremely true to yourself in all you do...something I admire about you.

Finally - I enjoy reading horoscopes as well - but mostly at the end of a day/week/month so that I can see how they applied to me. I'll actually go down the list and read all of them and even though I'm a virgo...it is amazing how other horoscopes for cancer or pisces or leo will apply to my life as well. AMAZING!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Piscean Princess said...

Indeed this thing is super cool - I would love to take the long drawn out version. It's always so fun to get a full astrological reading (not the Yahoo kind!) or something like this. It's affirming - letting you know that it's ok to be who you are, no matter what anybody thinks.

8:58 AM  
Blogger S* said...

With all this analyzation and such, I would have sworn you were a Virgo if it weren't for your name. (I'm a Virgo). I'm an ENFJ (Teacher Idealist), like Oprah. Yay! There is now purpose to my life. ;)

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't worry...i'm still analyzing and assigning modern day significance to Nostradamus' writings. there's a kook in all of us :)

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home