Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Life comes at you fast

Talley and The Bee

I don't know if he knew if he was allergic. But I do know that he gave 200% of his time and energy to the place we both love. Sometimes he was backstage, shouting at us about laundry. The last time I saw him, he was onstage, honoring the theater's founders. This summer he cleaned and organized 2 of the 5 costume rooms. And every time I have seen him since sometime in January, one, if not both of us, quoted La La L'Amazing Grace......"You know you gon' get fired, right?".

In the blink of an eye he was gone.


Princess Grace Goes Home

Before there was a Piscean Princess, there was Princess Grace. Nanny, my maternal grandmother, is the cutest, foxiest, classiest woman I've ever known. Years of exercise and swimming laps gave her legs that rivaled Tina Turner's. She married her high school sweetheart, he became one of the 1st Black gas station owners in the city, and she was the First Lady of Standard Oil. Make no mistake, they were "The Joneses" and keeping up was hard work. If there was a group for young people, black people, female people, democratic people, Christian people, Nanny was probably a member. She and her younger sister were like Frick and Frack. You rarely saw one without the other. If Auntie was going, Nanny was going too. Auntie went first.

And Nanny met her there.


There are other names and stories that I could mention here. But I won't. I do not have a personal story to tell about the Mad Scientist in Cali's Sweet Grandfather in Cleveland, so I won't. And the Billy Dee Williams of Pasadena better not get his name added to this list any time soon. [For real, Dad. If you're not gonna live forever, at least wait till I have some kids or something, geez!]

Remember when you were a kid and you didn't have to think about obituaries and funerals and last minute plane tickets? There were no bills to pay or credit scores to maintain. You didn't have to go through any changes to nurture friendships.

And you thought everybody was going to live forever....

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the shout-out, girl. I am keeping you in my prayers.

10:19 PM  
Blogger iaintlying said...

Life is indeed precious. My prayers are with you. A life well lived is the best legacy.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful tribute. My prayers are with you!

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you. I'm so sorry.

Your beautiful post reminds me of a quote by Garrison Keillor, of whom I'm not usually a fan, but it makes me think of you.

"We need to write, otherwise nobody will know who we were."


- Autumn

11:02 AM  
Blogger S* said...

I'm sorry you're experiencing the darker, sader part of life right now. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

(BTW, I often think the same thing about my Dad - and Mom- please at least stick around until I have some grandkids for you!)

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grief is always difficult...7 months ago I lost my sister and my best friend. One of the most difficult times in my life. I'll pray for your strength.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home