Monday, October 02, 2006

The Year of the Reunion continues...

Seven months ago, I took the liberty of renaming 2006 "The Year of the Reunion". At the time, most of the reunions were happening online or on the phone. Well, as the months have progressed, that has taken quite a turn.

Without even meaning to, I have reunited with Jesus. Not in a "born again/saved" kind of way, but in the people keep asking me to come to church with them kind of way. For the most part, this has not been an entirely unpleasant reunion. Each time I had someone there to shield me from that typical "Oh, are you visiting? Do you have a church home? We have 8 zillion ministries here that you would be perfect for - I'll look for you next week..." spiel. Except for the funeral I went to last week that turned into a "If you're not saved you're going to hell" sermon. Like many of the other reunions I've had this year, this one has been at the same time familiar and awkward. I have fond memories of my Charlie-Church days, and I am very happy with my current non-religious status.

The reunion continues at the theater. It's the strangest thing, but I am constantly running into someone from a past life at the theater. In the spring it was a guy I went to high school with - who I absolutely, positively would never have expected to see anywhere near anything arts-related. And I ran into the aunty of one of oldest & dearest friends...at the theater. And I was on a theater related committee with a guy that grew up down the street from me, who has made weird little cameo appearances in my life every few years since the late 80's.

I won't go into tons of detail, but I have recently started dating a pretty groovy guy. If my life were loosely based on a movie, I would be Sanaa Lathan and my date would be that extra-cute white guy that she fell in love with in "Something New". So on our 2nd "official" date last Friday, we're sitting at the bar in a local young & hip establishment, enjoying wine, people-watching and giggling.....and in walks my most recent ex-boyfriend. And he's with a young lady. And she's "Something New" too! I am not the person who remains "friends" with ex's. I see no purpose in that and have never had a breakup that I thought should be the exception. However, I'm also not the person who holds on to negative feelings after a breakup, either. I have often thought of this guy and hoped that he has found what he was searching for in life. Sincerely. 'Cause there was no way we were gonna find it together. So there wasn't any awkward feeling or anything - I mostly wanted both of our dates to disappear for a minute so I could run over to him and laugh at the irony of it all.

Lastly, I have reunited with my blog. Obviously I took the month of September off. There wasn't any particular drama or any good reason - I just couldn't ever figure out what to say. It all started when I watched "When The Levees Broke". I was simply unable to get it together to put my feelings down on "paper". And all the other amusing annoyances in life just didn't seem worthy of the blog when I had not addressed how I was feeling about the largely abandoned Black citizenry of New Orleans. And I kept going to blogs and folks were talking about it. And I was still stuck. So I stopped going to other blogs. Mostly I just kind of disappeared. (Perhaps my super-cute date and my ex's not-all-that-cute date made us disappear so they could talk about how funny it is that they're dating Black people!) But now I'm back, with plenty to say. I think.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ran across your blog at Technorati.com. I love this entry. I saw "Something New" this past weekend and I must say, that man....oh lord he's good looking. I will definately be back to read more.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Piscean Princess said...

Well thanks for stopping by! As you can see, I've been on a month-long hiatus...moments after I post, here you are!

I enjoyed Something New very much (I posted about it back in February...one of my first 3 or 4 posts, actually). Little did I know at the time that I would be living Something New before the end of the year. So far, so awesome. I must say, though, I don't have any of Sanaa's hangups. When I think about my ...[searching brain for correct word]...my...[still searching]...date/person of interest/friend, I don't ever think about hi race. And we haven't experienced "the look" out in public yet. (I know we will, though. I went through this in college. Funny thing was, I never could figure out what was happening unil it was over 'cause the whole Black/White thing was not on my mind - I was just kicking it with my boy. People are dumb.)

So anyhoo...I'm super glad you visited me and I hope to see you around!

4:27 PM  
Blogger changeseeker said...

Welcome back, Princess. And good luck with the new boy.

I know what you mean about Lee's film on New Orleans. It's hard to talk about. I watched it. Then I bought it. But I haven't written about or discussed it with anyone yet. Usually I feel mad or sad or something when I view a painful film. I can't put my finger on it yet, but this one went somewhere different.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to see you're back. I guess October is a good month for both of us as i'm sorta kinda back too. you'll see :)

oh and that tiny part of my brain that is convinced the world revolves around me was worried that you left cuz of me. ha!

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home